Thursday, December 26, 2013

Puzzling Puzzle Pieces

Today, my daughter Holland and I sat together working puzzles. Her little, two year body sat beside mine. I smiled and nodded as she looked my way for approval after placing a piece in a spot.  Her chubby fingers searched for connections, working hard, spinning pieces until a perfect fit made..
Holland's eyes have always lit up at the sight of a puzzle.  A floor puzzle brings forth screams of joys at  just one glance. Today, we were working a dinosaur floor puzzle that we had conquered many times before. I helped gather and put together the outside edges and watched in awe as she got to work on the inside pieces.  We both smiled and clapped with each piece placed in the correct spot. Holland picked up a puzzle piece and placed it where she thought it belonged. Her brow arched, staring intently, and biting her lip, she worked with the piece. Her little fingers spun and crammed for what seemed like an eternity. She was determined to fit that piece in the incorrect spot. I pulled out the piece that fit and spoke gently, "This one dear."
I began thinking. Isn't that what we do as Christians sometimes? We take our own will and keep shoving it into the puzzle of our lives.  God has a wonderful, perfect plan. Yet, we, out of our own frustration, lack of faith, and or lack of patience, keep pushing. We keep opening doors that need to remain closed.  We keep initiating life as we want it. We keep cramming even though we know the pieces don't line up.
I've decided to pray daily for God's will for my life for just that day, maybe even for that minute. I ask for wisdom. I ask for the ability to discern God's will for my life.  I pray for the ability to see God's divine appointments in my life.  I'm hoping through seeking so intently I'll spend less time cramming the wrong puzzle pieces into the spaces of my life.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paloetic/4455679049
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/



No comments:

Post a Comment