Saturday, January 25, 2014

How Do You Fit God's Love into a Gallon Size Baggie?

Our family has felt God leading us to sponsor a child in need. We had been researching companies like Compassion International and World Vision.  Both are wonderful!  In December, Hirchie and Sara Schaffner from Out of the Ashes came to our church to share their mission work in Korah, Ethopia. Hirchie and Sara live in the next town over from us. Out of the Ashes is a sponsorship program for the children of Korah. Korah, Ethiopia sits near a huge garbage dump where many families have to pick through the rubbage to find food or items to sell for minimal amounts. As I listened to their testimonies and looked at the pictures of children standing on top of piles of garbage, my heart leapt with a call to action. Psalm 113:7 is the Out of the Ashes theme verse.

He lifts the poor from the dust and the needy from the ash heap. Psalm 113:7

Yesterday, I received the information for my sponsor child, a tenth grade boy nicknamed China. Hayden, my 7 year old son, was so excited to learn more about him.  He studied his picture for quite a while. Our family is so ecstatic to start this journey. We feel like we've added a family member. I'm going today to create a care package for him.   The Schaffners are headed to Ethopia and will be able to give him our package in just a few days.  My task for today…find items for China that fit inside of a gallon size baggie.


How do you fit God's love into a gallon size baggie?  You don't, but that is what I felt I needed to do as I prepared my bag for him. I wanted every item to represent an over pouring of God's love. I ended up buying way more than would fit in his bag.  After careful choosing, the bag's contents included: a shirt, socks, paper,  a notebook, pens, candy, a necklace, a card, and two family pictures. In our information packet on China, he had written that he did not have a Bible.  I was so excited when Sara said she could pick one up for him once they arrived in Korah. I packed $10 for his Bible, and with a prayer I sealed the bag and sent it on its journey.

When I talked to Hirchie on the phone, he invited me to go with the next group to visit Korah.  I could meet China! Now, my head is filled with thoughts of visiting Korah in July and meeting our new family member. A young boy who wrote that his wish for his sponsor family is that we might change his life or pray that God will change it. I hope to do both giving all glory to God! My thoughts then move to, "Could I possibly go to Ethiopia? What would this gluten free girl eat there? Will I have the money to pay for the trip?". Then, I think of Matthew 17:20. My what ifs fade, and I let my God be God.

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have 
faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to 
there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."     Matthew 17:20


1 comment: